Pages

Thursday 5 January 2017

Our goals for 2017

New year always feels like a new start to me. I don't make resolutions anymore as I seem to churn out the same tired ones every year - get fit, get organised, win the lottery, the usual stuff! I do love to think about things I'd like to achieve in the next year though so here are my hopes/goals for 2017.

Improved health for Monkey
2016 on the whole was actually pretty good in terms of Monkey's health. We had a few scary times along the way but we've ended the year in a much more positive place than we started it. At the start of 2016 I was beginning to give up hope that she would ever grow out of any of her allergies despite being told by many experts that she could. However she passed her soya and wheat challenges in hospital during the summer. She failed her egg ladder at the first step so we won't be trying that one for a while but I think 2017 may be the year she first tries milk! Her asthma and eczema don't seem as bad this winter and she's had a bit of a growth spurt. She is still tiny for her age but doesn't look poorly with it any more. I hope that she can continue to improve like this in 2017 and am feeling much more positive these days.

Complete the Great North Run
Although I'm feeling positive these days, we have had some really tough times with Monkey's allergies. Allergy UK were so helpful when Monkey was first diagnosed and continue to be a great support to us today. I was offered a charity place in the Great North Run to raise money for them. I'm hoping I can get round in one piece and meet my fundraising target. The furthest I've ever run before is 10k so it's a huge challenge but I have the best motivation. I think Monkey will be doing the mini run too. She did the Toddler Trot in the summer and loved it. You can sponsor us both here.

Ready to run for Allergy UK

Raise lots of money for Allergy UK
Linking in nicely with the Great North Run is our aim to raise as much money as we can for Allergy UK. We took part in their Free From Feast in the summer and were the top fundraisers. We really enjoyed it and spoke to the charity about how we could get more involved. That led to us setting up a fundraising group. We hoping to hold a few events this year which you can find out about on our facebook page. We are also collecting used stamps to raise funds - they have raised £34 so far without costing anyone anything. It's a great free way to help.

Read more books
A bit of a selfish one to finish with. I used to read loads and for various reasons I hardly ever seem to anymore. I got Jodi Picoult's new book Small Great Thingsfor christmas though and was hooked. I finished it in just a few days and really enjoyed taking that time for myself to relax with a book. I definitely need to keep it up.
Monkey has always loved her books. But now she is determined to read them by herself. We've done a little bit of phonics with her and she's doing really well so hopefully by this time next year she'll be able to.

2 comments:

  1. i just follow your blog.
    Nice work
    Greetings from Greece
    www.beautyisallaround6.blogspot.gr

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to read all the blogs of Mummy's Monkey. They are always motivational. All the goals for 2017 which you mentioned are great specially, read more books. Books are the best friend of humans as they always let us learn something and stay with us in all the times.

    ReplyDelete